Divorce Doesn’t Have To Be Messy

When a family separates, it causes great stress for all family members, and at Nix & Kirkland, P.A., we take our cues from our client during these difficult times. We begin our client relationship with education as to your rights when a marriage dissolves. We strive for friendly settlement agreements whenever possible, but we firmly believe in aggressive litigation when necessary and requested by a client.

We also understand that family disputes continue after a divorce decree is signed, and we successfully represent many clients in modifications of the divorce decree or enforcement actions when a former spouse falls behind on child support or alimony payments.

We encourage you to make an appointment to speak with one of our lawyers if you are seeking representation in a family law matter such as:

  • Uncontested or contested divorce
  • Child custody modification
  • Custodial parent moving out-of-state
  • Child support modification
  • Spousal support modification
  • Missed support payments, arrearages and collections

Consequences For Missing Child Support Or Alimony Payments

If you are divorced and have lost your job or suffered a decrease in income, it may be tempting to skip a monthly child support or alimony payment. However, everyone should know that Florida law takes a strict view toward people who miss child support or spousal maintenance (“alimony”) payments. If you get behind on these payments, your driver’s license can be suspended, which may lead to a hefty fine or jail time if you are later caught driving without a license.

If your economic situation has changed for the worse, it is preferable to hire an experienced family law attorney who can negotiate on your behalf with your former spouse. It may be possible to modify the divorce decree to make allowances for your changed circumstances.

Keep Track Of Your Former Spouse’s Financial Circumstances

In Florida, child support and spousal maintenance are calculated partly on the income of the paying party. If you learn that your former spouse received a promotion or a new job with a higher income, it may be possible to modify your divorce decree to increase the child support or spousal maintenance payments.

For assistance with modifying a divorce decree or any other family law matter, contact the attorneys at Nix & Kirkland, P.A. We can be reached through our online contact form, or by calling 850-981-9959.


Nix & Kirkland, P.A.
6478 Highway 90
Suite A
Milton, FL 32570

Toll Free: 866-981-9959
Phone: 850-981-9959
Fax: 850-981-9962

Contact Nix & Kirkland, P.A.